Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Winds and a vet visit in N. Florida.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014.   Good news about our parrot (Scully the Scarlet Macaw).  She is sitting on her perch but favoring (hanging) her right leg.  We will see after the visit to Dr. Cesar Mena our vet in Lake City, FL.  She does have a broken leg, with bites on the leg. I still think the culprit is a stray dog.  Although we have raccoons and opossums too.  But they are usually out after dark.  She was found hurt in her cage at sundown as my husband was putting her away.   Xrays will occur tomorrow to see details of  the break is involved.  She is splinted and on antibiotics, and seems to understand her situation, not picking at the bandages and being a good patient.  My husband and I hope she makes a full recovery.  She is a delight to have around and we love her very much.

Today started with winds again.   The hawks were set in the cabana early again in preparation for the abatement.  And at the grackles were again at the resturant.  Too windy to fly, so I brought the red-tailed hawk up on the glove.  Just his presence helped to make a difference.  But I noted that when customers were served their beverages.  The grackles make their moves.  The tables are vacant while guests visit the buffet and I walked around with the hawk to deter them.  That was working,  As I was waiting, suddenly a bunch of grackles came in.  I wondered why, a family with a toddler were feeding bread and tossing it at the end of the table.  I discretely told the server and later management about it.  They say they do enforce the no feeding the birds policy, so I will make a point to let them know if I see it again.   I also asked if they could ask guests when finished to cover their plates with the cloth napkins until the tables can cleared.   I do think that would help out as well.  They do manage the sugar packet situation by simply inverting an empty glass over the sugar packets.   I sat the hawks out to weather, misted them and during the day I was dealing with getting vet appointments for the parrot and also being on call for the restraunt and pool and beach area when needed.  It was busy since I am still quite worried about the injured parrot back home.  I tried to just take a hawk on the fist, but I have too few hands for all of the gear,.  So the bell cart works best.  Especially with the hawk boxes readily available to secure the hawks when done. Evening patrols and flights started to the north end where grackles were seen the prior night.  The difference is that when the entire gear and pole perches come around, the grackles don't stay and they leave when already there.  At sundown and dusk, the hawks were then put away for the evening in the truck.


No comments:

Post a Comment