Search This Blog

Monday, October 13, 2014

Not so quiet Monday

The hawks were set out in the cabana early again, pre dawn.  The days started breezy.  I then got ready for the day with me getting some delayed paperwork done and in the mail.  I got a call from the restraunt that I was needed there, got out and flew the Harris hawks for a while.  One went straight down the baywalk to the beach area. So I had to get him back.  Then the other also moved down to the same area, winds were affecting them.  I then just let one up and she sat on the building above the dining guests and she flew up into as soar, carried by the winds.  I was talking to some residents and immediately had to end the conversation and follow her around the hotel.  I was worried that she may cross over to the mainland in the wind.  Telemetry signal indicated she was in the area behind the hotel, by the exit and pool, but I could not see her.  I was also concerned that the signal I was getting was the same frequency of a car or hotel security system.  I have encountered that before.  I followed the signal, which can be difficult, due to buildings and structures reflecting the signal.  Then in the wind, I saw her soar around.  It was difficult to multitask, holding a receiver, pushing the cart with her box, and dealing with my hat constantly blowing off my head from the wind.  I put the cart in a safe place and concluded that she was on the roof of the hotel.  I still called for her and then after about an hour or so,  contacted security to see if their radio security signal was in the band range as my telemetry, it is not, so maybe a car at valet parking was so.  But not so.   Security went up to the roof to see if the hawk was sitting there.  And I went to the cabana to set up her perches to attract her it.  Then the signal got stronger and wavered in the receiver.  I looked up and she was following me to the cabana.  I got her on her t post, then safe in her enclosure.  Relieved I got lunch and called to let everyone know that she is home safe.  It was so windy, that beach umbrellas were not opened for guests in the pool area.  So the hawks were kept in their enclosures safe from excessive winds.   Evening patrols then started with falcons on the fist, assessing the areas where any grackles may be.  The one closest corner (to the mainland)  on the north side had a few, less than a dozen grackles in the trees.  A place that will have hawks there the next day at dusk.  This is where they cross, with the minimum distance across the water.  Then the falcons were walked by the bridge and bus stop where the iguanas hang out (nick named Jurassic Park by one resident).   There were about a dozen pigeons there on the ground feeding.  As the falcons were spotted on the fist, the pigeons took flight in an escape mode.  It was an day that falconers deal with many times, soaring, and situations where the weather just makes things challenging.  As I was putting the hawks away.  I got a call from home that our scarlet macaw has been injured, with a hurt leg.  She is a scarlet macaw and it happened just prior to her being put away at sunset.  The culprit is not found, but her one leg is injured, sprained and some tail feathers are missing.  Likely a dog or an early evening raccoon. She is going to the vet tomorrow for an examination.  Wish us luck.  We have had her for 15 years and she is part of our family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment