Search This Blog

Friday, October 17, 2014

Beautiful Day,

October 16, 2014.  A beautiful, clear day, lowered humidity and temperatures.  Got up a bit early today, prior to my alarm and moved the hawks to the cabana before dawn.  I set up their perches and bath pans, then went to the restaurant for morning buffet to chase away birds.  I brought one hawk (the red-tailed hawk) on the fist.  He is calm and loves just sitting with me.  I noted some birds, grackles and sparrows in the area.  Fewer than yesterday.  There were guests but I think none of them were feeding the birds at the table.  But I saw some bread crumbs on the walkway below.  It is very hard to not be tempted to feed the birds if you like wildlife.   Sparrows usually forage after guests leave for crumbs on the patio floor.  The grackles though are all over the tables.  I stayed in the corner discretely with the hawk on the fist.  It was breezy and sunny (high 70's) so I felt that alternating between flying hawks and hawk on the fist works well.  I moved the hawk around.  And when he opened his wings, the grackles were moved about, making their alarm calls.  I also noted that more sugar dispensers were covered with a glass, an excellent, inexpensive way to keep the grackles from taking the sugar packets.  Yet, looks pleasing on the table.  When guests had departed.  I would take the hawk on the fist to the vacant, yet uncleared table, cover the plates with remaining food with the cloth napkins until staff could clear the table.  This worked very well at keeping the grackles away during that most crucial time where there are no people at the table after a meal.  You could nearly see the puzzlement in their body language.  But they are smart and may figure out a way to fly down and take off the napkins.  We will see if they really do figure it out.  I stayed until the lunch settings were being placed and took a lunch.

There is an event on the beach tonight (wedding I'm told) and I clear out the cabana of hawks and equipment for them to use.  Set up started around 2:00.  This is a perfect weather day for a wedding.

When the hawks were to be put away in the truck, excessive exhaust fumes were noticed.  So two of the hawks were moved to the room balcony as a precaution.  Then when the other hawks were brought over, the exhaust had subsided.  I can only conclude that a car had sad at the exit running for a while which we just arrived afterwards and noted the fumes in the air.  Many thanks to security for inspecting the entire garage for any running engines or vehicles to make sure the birds are safe.  I will bring down the two hawks in the morning.  It is beautiful outside now with low humidity, and I am thankful for that.

Now, back to the Macaw, Scully.  She is lying on her good side and she is sleeping on our couch during the day, her sleeping travel cage at night which now has a shelf perch.  I saw the cribs being used in the pool area for guests with infants.  I thought, good for a convalescing parrot with a broken leg too.    I asked housekeeping if I could purchase a used one, that is functional yet, not guest ready.  They donated a used one that was no longer guest ready (with a bit of rust on it, but perfectly functional) out of their surplus storage for me to use.  THANK YOU to management for letting me have the crib.   I will send photos of her in her new 'bed' when I get home on Monday.

  Scullys’ Story:
Scully was captive bred in 1999.  As she grew, it was found that she has scoliosis, a crooked spine.  She was unable to stand and stay out of her feces.  This was a real concern by the breeder who had considered putting her down due to her unable to stand.  It was then ingeniously thought to hang her in a diaper apparatus to encourage her spine to grow straighter.  The technique worked.  She grew in strength and coordination to be able perch, stand, and climb like any normal parrot.    Flying is very difficult for her. After a year of age, Scully was then given to us as a special needs parrot.  If you look closely at her back you will notice a hump and she walks with an uneven gait.   She loves to talk and converse with you and has been with us since the year 2000.  We have enjoyed her company ever since.



No comments:

Post a Comment