Search This Blog

Monday, October 6, 2014

A break from the heat

Sunday, October 5, 2014.  A huge difference in the weather as the front moved through.  It was very pleasant getting up extra early for such a gorgeous day.   I set the hawks in the cabana by 6:00.  Then got ready for the day.  I took one of the hawks by the resturant for breakfast abatement, early, but few patrons were there and no birds.   So, I flew them around the beach and especially the park.  When one landed in a palm tree on the way back to the beach from the restruant, I saw something green fall out of the tree hard onto the seawall.  It was a young iguana, not liking a hawk landing right near it's sleeping quarters.  It was cool so it was sluggish and I picked it up and observed it.  Then let it go, it was fine, they jump out of trees all of the time.  I then flew around the park with all hawks, the other two oldest still were having a grudge match, to the oldest was put away for a while.  I then got word that patrons were eating breakfast and I was needed there.  I immediately took one hawk over, my youngest, she stays close.  There are few perches there, so she sat on the T post, then the slippery railing.]  Then down the seawall back to the beach.  I met the breakfast manager and discussed having an unused beach umbrella stand on the patio so I may have a second T post for the hawk to land on.  The hawks do not like to sit in the palm trees, they prefer branches.   I met the morning manager and discussed having an unused beach umbrella stand at the patio area to for me to have a second T post there for the hawk.   I flew off and on all day, with all of the hawks rotating them out to get all of them flown.  I then went behind the office building with the two that stick close to me, the oldest and youngest.  They did well.  But the oldest flew into a window but was able to slow down to prevent injury.  I was surprised at that, she is an experienced hawk.  I flew until sundown, to get ready for another early day on Monday.  I also saw the peregrine right at sundown land on the fifth highest railing of the residence by the beach.   I also met a couple who lives at the condo on the top floor and they got to see the hawks fly.  I met a woman who was from Germany and mentioned the peregrine (Wanderfalke) in German to her.  There is always great interest when I mention the resident peregrine falcon in downtown Miami.  

No comments:

Post a Comment