Search This Blog

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Another warm day

Typical Miami fall weather, humid, mid 80's.  Got hawks set up in cabana prior to dawn. just in case I'm asked to deter birds at breakfast.   I enjoyed watching the lunar eclipse while I was walking the hawks out.  Then got ready for the day.    Then proceeded to get fresh batteries in their transmitters, and get equipment ready for flights.  They were placed in the weathering area and misted.  Breakfast at the resturant had to grackles so I just waited to see if they showed, up They really enjoyed it and I noted that few grackles were in the area, mugginess also makes the grackles and other birds lethargic too.  As I prepared for evening patrols and flights, got a call from the resturant that guests were seated and to be ready for when the order arrives.  Hawks were put up and sat in the palm trees and were called back and forth.  One went to the roof, perfect positioning for keeping birds at bay.   After a while winds picked up and she had moved towards the guard house.  I know her favorite places to stay so I kept with the guests until they were done, then looked for the wayward hawk using telemetry.    Sure enough she was found behind the office building parking garage and came back promptly.  Winds were higher so patrols were limited to bird on fist patrols, which ended fairly early this past evening.   I feel that the moon phases (full moon cycle just going on now) does make the winds stronger.  I assume that studies have be done to confirm my hunches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment