Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Wednesday, October 15, 2014.

More good news about our injured Macaw (Scully the Scarlet Macaw) parrot.  Todays xrays show the bones in her leg to be aligned perfectly for healing.  She will need 6 weeks of rest and finish her round of antibiotics.  She also has bites on her foot and legs.  Likely the culprit is a raccoon.  She has a shelf perch in her sleeping/travel cage and she can sit/lay on our couch during the day.

Today was calmer, but stressful for me, waiting for the results of our Parrots xrays to make sure she will heal correctly.   The hawks were again put in the cabana prior to dawn.  I flew two a first at the restaurant.  The grackles were out early for some reason, I anticipate with the coming cool front and weather this weekend.  They know and can sense weather patterns hours and days ahead of time.  They seemed to be 'carb loading' just boldy taking sugar with the hawks above me and me standing right there.  I rushed to help remove and cover the sugar packets along with staff.  Then I waited for the breakfast to be converted into lunch.  After lunch, hawks were set out to weather and misted.   I flew two on a regular basis by the pool and park to keep their presence known.  I watched the weather patterns, anticipating a thunderstorm, putting the hawks away at dinner break.  It poured and poured for about an hour.  Cleaning everything up with the heavy rains.   Then the hawks were put away for the evening in the truck.   Now, with the macaw injury experience, I am very glad that I am diligent with the hawks safety as well.  It only takes a short time, a few seconds for a raccoon, opossum, cat or dog to wreak havoc on our hawks and parrot.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I read your blog I am glad that still there some people who very concern about wildlife thank you for sharing and looking forward to see to more in future. :)


    Carpet Cleaning

    ReplyDelete