Search This Blog

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Wind, wind

I got the hawks in the cabana pre dawn again.  It was windy even early in the morning.  I got ready then it rained early, so the breakfast outside at the resturant was not happening.  I walked there and saw grackles, in the rush to get guests out of the rain,  the staff left some sugar packets on tables.  The birds were having a party with them.  So, I took the sugar packets and picked up around the tables.  Then went to the cabana to let the hawks out.  It was windy so, I had to make sure the hawks were comfortable all day with misting.  I had quite a few guests and residents visit the area and learned of a fireworks show at the hotel across the way.  The fireworks producers convention was going on that week.  I saw the initial fireworks earlier this week, wondering what was going on.  I found a good nickname from a staffer for the iguana colony:  Jurassic Park.  The iguanas are ever hungry, watching for food and drinks to be served to guests and not deterred at all when they are chased away.  I've decided to lure them towards me instead with a few pieces of fruit, to keep them away from guests who do not appreciate them.  I like them and they are very intelligent and sly about getting food from people.  Evening flights started behind the office building.  Two hawks were put up and they were pushed around by the wind quite a bit,  I was concerned for their safety, being so close to the glass windows of the building, for one hit a window last saturday, but was unharmed, she braked just before hitting.   They both flew around and the oldest one started into a soar, not an issue, except I am surrounded by water and did not want her to soar inland, for a marathon telemetry search.   So she was called down immediately, she responded promptly and she was put into her box, as well as the youngest one.  It was  just too windy to safely fly, but the soaring around gives a good signal to the grackles that the hawks are still about.  So the day ended at sundown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment