Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Warm and busy

Hawks were placed in the cabana early again.  I expected a busy saturday morning and I was right.  I got them over to the resturant early, for breakfast and I stayed there until just prior to lunch break.  The hawks sat in the palm trees and were keeping the birds away from sugar packets and food.  Right after lunch break. I returned to the beach area and  I was talking to a resident.  Pool management called over and said we need hawks here.  We quickly ended our conversation, and I let two hawks out immediately to get them in the air, while I got my gear on for walking around.  It was lunch and the pool was very busy as well as the beach.  I kept the hawks out for a couple of hours until the noon rush was over and I put all of the hawks out for the day in the weathering area. Misted them and let them bathe .  I then off and on flew the hawks in the pool and beach area.  After dinner break, I put the oldest and youngest females up.  They hung around as normal and the oldest followed me around faithfully.  The youngest flew towards the banyon tree at the exit.   She usually follows me faithfully as well.  I could not see or hear her.  So, I called the oldest, put her in and looked with telemetry for the youngest. She was behind a hedges, next to the building where equipment and supplies are kept.  She was sitting low in a bush, right by the road.  What has be concerned is the bait box for rodents right there.  I looked at her crop to see if she had eaten anything, such as a poisoned rodent which can kill her with secondary poisoning.  I saw no evidence, so I am hoping she was chasing one of the hatchling iguanas I have seen in the area.   I started to get them ready to take back to the truck and the exit was blocked by a tour bus. So I went to my room to cool off a bit and wait for the bus to finish loading up.  When I went back with a load of hawks to put in the truck, I saw that the garage was full to overflowing with cars.  I was concerned about exhaust fumes from all of the cars entering and exiting the garage and decided that having them sleep in their enclosures in the cabana would be safer for them (and more sleep for me).  I told security and they kindly said that they would help keep an eye out on the hawks the cabana on their rounds.  I turned the front of the boxes around so the curiosity would be less and went to bed.   The next day starts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment