Search This Blog

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Come on cool front

Hot again, 91 sunny, puffy clouds, the high for today, October 4, 2014.  Got the hawks out early.  And misted them in the cabana while in their enclosures.   I wore shorts the first part of the day rather than long pants, I only have 1 pair of tropical weight pants, the others are great, except they are a tight weave  cotton that keeps them from breathing in this summer heat.  I changed into the long pants after I realized I would get sunburned on my legs.  I don't really tan.   The hawks and falcons were misted all day long.  I flew 2 of them by the pool and park area for several hours.  One just stayed back at the sabal palm.  Just keeping cool, near the misting water.  Then a rain came in and I kept the hawks out in the rain. for it was a light rain and the really enjoyed it.  The hawks took what I call a rain bath.  They jump in their bath pans and roll around in them getting soaked in the rain.  After they dried enough to fly, I flew two of them again.   The grackles at the pool are now quiet when guests are brought food.  For they have learned that when the call their 'food call' I appear with the hawks.  So, I stand by the pool and park with two hawks in the banyon trees.  Later, around 4:00 all of the hawks were flown, and the others were put in their enclosures.  Large, dark clouds came in, with lighting meaning a second heavy rain on the way, so the hawks were put in their enclosures, and I just waited out the rain.   Then after sunset, the falcons were walked around the key on the fist.   This is important as well, to keep hawks presence all around the key.  A heron flushed from the tree announcing the predator in vicinity call.  So even a raptor on the glove is important.  Hawks were then put away around 7:30 that evening and some supplies had arrived, some additional flashlights, and a TYVEK fabric rain poncho.  I would think that TYVEK would be a great poncho/rain cape fabric, tough, waterproof, lightweight, folds up very compactly, yet breathable.  I will be using it when it rains.   With the flashlight, I will be illuminating the hawk enclosures after dark.   (I am attempting to train the hawks to fly into their enclosures from a distance after dark).  They already do so in daylight.  The rain cooled things off so it was great to get a walk in after the flying was finished.  

No comments:

Post a Comment