Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Getting steamy again outside

Tuesday, October 7, 2014.   Got the hawks in the cabana early. I like doing that, I avoid the dogs being walked.  With the curiosity, the dog walkers just don't understand the hawks fear any unfamiliar dog and I have to move quickly to keep the hawks from jumping around in their boxes.  Plus and I can get them settled and ready early.  I did some paperwork waiting for the rains to end.  I did research on the web the heron I saw last night is a black crowned night heron.   Then it rained for a while before I could set them out.  They ended up staying in their boxes due to being on call dining guests.   Off and on rain until after noon.  I flew the Harris hawks on call around the pool, did some checks for outside dining guests outside but none were there on such a hot day.  I flew the two oldest females together and the oldest still is being a bully towards her younger partner.  It is all over the light post as to gets to sit there and be the queen of the light post.  I then flew the youngest female and both of them started sparring on the light post too.  So the oldest was put away and she was flown later.  The grackles were fewer.  Until, dinner break, when I got back there were about a dozen grackles at the pool.  One employee brought me an injured sparrow (from the grackles picking on it).    I let it rest a few hours and let it go.  Management told me it was a guest that was feeding the grackles and that is what brought in so many after the dinner break.    Otherwise they stay away with the hawks out.  I also feel that a request for dining outside guests to cover their plates with their cloth napkin will assist in keeping grackles from being attracted to the food after a meal.   The weather was warm, in the afternoon and guests were  showing up after the rains.  Some  saw the hawks, were fascinated by them, and wanted to hold the hawks, and hold the T posts, but I politely told them that my insurance policy does not allow that.   The hawks were flown a pair at time, until sundown and put to bed that evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment