Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Wednesday day and evening:  I cleaned the hawk enclosures, for I prefer to clean, Mon, Wed, and Fri. to keep the enclosures fresh and clean.  The rest of Wednesday was fairly off and on.  With the vacant time allowing me to get out of the heat of the day for a while. I try to tough it out in the heat and when I am really required to be out all day.  I wrap a layer of ice cubes in a bandana, put it around my neck and secure with an elastic hair tie.  The cool ice at the back of my neck keeps my core temperature down so I do not over heat.  Also the big hat and dark sunglasses I wear are essential to being comfortable in warm weather.  I also put a bit of argan oil on my legs and arms, to keep my clothes from sticking and they glide over my skin easily.  Makes a big difference in personal comfort in the heat of the day.  The hawks were set out and I misted them.  The pigeons DO have a nest, on the ground of the ice holding area.  I knew that there was a nest, but never expected a nest on the ground, I was surprised.  Active with 2 young.  The young are being re-homed and the nest and area will be altered and blocked off to prevent further nesting of the pigeons.  In the evening,  I would just point at the pigeons at times and they would move off across the street .  From the fifth floor, each day I look for pigeon activity on the rooftops.  The restaurant has about a half dozen pigeons hanging around there on a regular basis.  I looked across the street at the restaurant there, also there is nesting activity, is think much more so than here.  But I cannot get high enough to see what is really going on there.  The pigeons made evasive flights while I was on the 5th floor, but I could not confirm that a hawk was in the air, but I strongly suspect so.

Thursday, was fairly quiet with few pigeons in the area, but that changes so often. For there are definately private lofts in the area, some band their birds, but I think that just as many do not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment