Search This Blog

Saturday, July 18, 2015

South Florida,

I arrived Thursday, around 4:00 It was an 8 hour drive from my house due to the rain and traffic.  This time it is a smaller hotel on a main road, that has been open since the 60's. The issue is pigeons roosting, foraging and making a mess.  When I arrived there is a vacant building next door formerly an eatery.  A very nice building that could also make a great new restaurant.  The decor is beautiful.  The hotel is spotless, recently renovated and evidently very well maintained.  I got a ground story room which I prefer to quickly go to the hawks if there is an issue.   The back area behind the empty building is a great roosting area for the pigeons and they have also nested in the area.  Staff has taken steps to block off areas that make the  area attractive for roosting, but more areas need to be done.  Friday, I unpacked, set out the hawks to bathe eat and get used to the area.  I also noted power poles around the back of the hotel and staff will be having the power company shield them.  This is something that power companies are supposed to do when they get a regarding wildlife hazards from power poles.  www.aplic.org is the organization dealing with this issue.   When I was out early Saturday, I noted pigeons on a narrow ledge of the empty building.   I would recommend that a steeply angled piece of flashing, painted to match the building would keep the pigeons from roosting on that area. I personally think that flashing on ledges is a better choice than spikes.  It lasts longer, and looks better as well.    I got the hawks out and they were weathered, fed and moved around to get them used to the new venue.  Today  (saturday) I sat them out and landscaping started trimming palms.  The hawks do not like the falling branches, and the chain saws don't thrill them either.  So back in the boxes they go until landscaping is done. The activity is keeping the pigeons away too.  I am also thinking the landscaping will be trimming the trees where I am weathering the hawks too they are due for a trim. So for their safety, they are back in the boxes.   The main issue with the pigeons is the 24 hour restaurant across the road.  It is busy with pigeons every time I look over there.  I am speculating that they have a food/trash management issue that is attracting the pigeons.   

No comments:

Post a Comment