Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Tuesday Evening, Wed. Morning

Tuesday was quiet, for I had help from a wild raptor.  I saw the pigeons across the street fly off with evasive tactics.  They duck and drop and rock back and forth in the air to evade avian predators.  Surely enough, above them was likely a falcon soaring around.  I did not see any flap-flap glide flying style of the Cooper's hawks so common in the area, so I am concluding it was a peregrine.  It soared north on the east side of US 1 and the pigeons settled on the hotel.  Well time to roust them out.  I got ready and when the pigeons saw me get the hawks ready to fly, they moved off.  I sat the hawks and falcons out all day long to get them to stay across the street.  The rest of the day was quiet, very few pigeons, and the winds also were stronger.  Evening, I saw only about a half dozen pigeons in the area.  Mainly focused on the vacant restaurant.  I still see them acting like there are nests on the roof, around the ductwork and venting.  I scheduled inspection of the area, removing nests will help keep them away.  Nesting behavior is an indicator of a welcoming location, so inspection and removal of any nests, active or not will be a big deterrent.  Evening flights were not done , due to winds, and no pigeons to fly after.  So, I instead stayed out with the hawks ready until around 7:30 then put them up for the night.

Wednesday,  I got up and did my walk arounds.  I am glad to say that I did not see the four pigeons sitting on the bannisters.  So, my tactics are starting to have an effect.  Then I look up and about a dozen pigeons are on the hotel.  They see me, then they moved off across the street.  They see my activities  and decide to move on.   A guest stopped as I was unloading and was upset at a lizard sitting on the center of her windshield.  It was a small, green hatchling, of the spiny tailed lizards round the area.  Cute little thing and I asked employees if they wanted a pet for their kids, no was the reply, sot into the bushes it went.  Although they are non-native, they really help keep bugs down.


No comments:

Post a Comment