Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Weathering hawks

Wednesday, July 22 ,  I set the raptors out, all 7 of them, set up the misters,  then cleaned their enclosures.  Just weathering out front where the pigeons can easily see them does make a difference.  I then did some paperwork, got an extra pair of shoes, for the single pair I had was getting wet every day from the storms, and I like to rotate my footwear to give them a chance to dry out and last longer.  By mid-morning, few pigeons were seen at the hotel.  Just the nesting pair at the NW corner of the restaurant, where it is shady all day.  The pigeons use the drain holes as an exit and entrance to the nesting area.  Two rainstorms came through,  I let the hawks sit out in one, for it was a short storm.  But I put them in at the second late afternoon storm for it was a heavier rain.

Thursday morning, Fewer pigeons are out.  This morning, I saw none across the street and less than a dozen on the hotel and restaurant.   They seem to be getting the message and not roosting in numbers at the hotel.  The remaining pigeons seems to be primarily fledglings, reluctant to leave the nesting area and driven out by their parents.  I saw two begging for food from an adult pigeon earlier in the day.
At the apartment complex behind the hotel I noticed some amber/orange lighting for the entire building.  I think a good idea to not draw insects into the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment