Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Friday/Saturday

Friday started warm.  It is a full moon and I enjoy being out pre dawn as it was setting this early morning.  I set the hawks out and housed out and  cleaned their enclosures.  The new extra long apron kept me much drier than doing without one.  The hawks sat out all day until the storms in the afternoon.  But, new nesting pigeons have been discovered.  The pigeons are nesting in very unusual places, where you would not think they would nest.  I noted some standing inside the fan vent from the laundry area where guest linens are cleaned.   There is a nest actually up inside the vent.  I looked around the area, inside and out.  There is a need to block off both the exterior fan (a circle of 1 inch welding wire that surrounds the vent from the roof flange to the roof would work).  And inside the vent as well. (again a section of same welding wire to block access by pigeons to the vent from flying through the retractable door).  That evening, before I put the hawks away at 7:30.  It was also pointed out to me by front desk staff  that pigeons were in a side vent/gutter in the front desk building.  On the east side in the center of the building, a hole,  just right for pigeons..  I rousted them out (3) at evening, and I suspect a nest in there as well with squabs.  \

Saturday morning, I was up early and a few were on the restaurant north edge (now I know it is gutter), they moved away, and the two that I've been moving about all week long were back on the 5th floor balcony.  But, they move away right after dawn.  A few landed on the south side of the hotel, but they were gone soon as well.  Hawks are staged on the north side of the restaurant for flying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment