Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning

Tuesday, I sat the hawks out later in the day due to expecting landscaping to be there trimming.  They were misted, and I set up for evening flights.  I noted that mid-day few pigeons are about, especially when it is sunny, just too hot for them to sit out.  Lowered humidity made is  more pleasant day, and winds/breezes helped too, A perfect beach day.  Also, I was glad that evening rains were not coming in to stop my evening flights.  I flew the hawks one at a time over the pool, it is highly visible to the pigeons across the street, and they do not come over when the hawks are about.  I kept them out until after 7:00 and when I ran out of hawk food for them.  I then put them away and wrapped up the day. I moved the bath pans, and perches, expecting landscaping to be out on Wed morning.  

Wednesday, got up prior to dawn and did my walkabout.  I am glad to say I saw no roosting pigeons on the hotel nor the south side awing of the restaurant.  After breakfast, I was moving the hawks out and saw a groups of pigeons head over the hotel.  I noted one was all white, so I know now that many of these birds are un-banded loft pigeons.  I called one local pigeon loft in the area and asked if it was one of their birds.  Their pigeons were in at the time.  I told them that the hawks will not be flying at that time.  So they were letting their pigeons out for a morning flight.  This loft have some with a lot of white on them but I've never seen them in the hotel area.  I then set the hawks on the tables in their enclosures.  For this is cleaning day.  I change into the prior day's clothes, for cleaning.  Then change into the current day's clean attire so I don't look so wilted.  Also, maintenance was going to check for active nests on the lower and upper buildings and remove them.  This will really help discourage the pigeons from using the area.  I also noted that the standing water on the roof of the main laundry (guest linen) and pigeons drink and bathe in the puddles.  Same thing with the standing water around the water chiller.  I often see pigeons fly up when I walk through there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment