Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Wednesday, January 8, 2014:  Cloudy, rainy.  Early morning I saw two raptors.  A red shouldered hawk, and a peregrine falcon.   Then I saw a frigate bird, a large gull type bird with a forked tail.   The prior day I saw two peregrine falcons.  The smaller one sitting on the hurricane shutter.  Then a larger one (likely a female) flew up and they both called and flew south to the next island.  It started raining and threatened rain all day so, I brought out two hawks in their training boxes, ready for any deterrent flights around the pool and beach area.  I flew them several times briefly.  Then rains started later in the day, so I took them in for the evening.

On Wednesday there was a visit from Florida Fish and Wildlife.  The officer asked about the activities I was doing with the hawks,  That day I had only two birds out, due to the threatening rains.  He said that a resident had called about the abatement activities.  I mentioned that my permits were cleared when I was out in the spring and mentioned the officer's name.  He was satisfied with that and I was able to continue and get the two Harris hawks out for flights that day.

This is posted today due to not having internet access yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment