Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2014

January 2, 2014:   Sunny, bright mid-70's.

On my way to set up,  I observed the peregrine on his usual perch on the hurricane shutter.  He stayed there until about 11:00  The hawks were set out and showered.  I noted some bird activity around the pool and beach area.  So, I put one of the Harris hawks up and the grackles moved on.  I would put up the hawks, one at a time and the grackles got the message.  Guests enjoyed watching the mid-day bath and shower I give the hawks and falcons.  Often, the hawks will jump in their bath pans for a big soak and shower.  In the evening the hawks were taken to the residential areas.  Where the grackles were still  across the water at the harbor.   They still head over to the key but change their minds with hawks sitting the trees in the area.   Hundreds of them line up on the railing, then move to the trees.  The presence of the hawks, and the cart with their equipment is enough to keep them away until they settle in after dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment