Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Saturday, January 4, 2014:

Cloudy, rain threatening all day.   Got the hawks out in the cabana area.   The beach and pool were quiet, the rain and clouds was keeping guests away.  I took the opportunity to fly 4 Harris; hawks at once and flew them around the beach area.  They really enjoyed working together, and they all landed in the palm tree.  I tried to get a photo of them all at once, but they were having too much fun flying around.  Needless to say, the grackles were gone while they were out.  Then some rains started, so I put them back, to keep them dry.   I then got them out after the rains stopped and flew all of them at once again.  I just love the harmony they exhibit when they fly together.  Guests and residents came over and were enjoying them flying as well.  On my way to my truck, I noticed a dead rat at the curb.  So I picked it up by the tail.  Wrapped it in newspaper and disposed of it in the trash.   I am so glad I found the rat before the hawks did.  Rodenticides used around the area are deadly to hawks and raptors through secondary poisoning.  I will keep diligent in looking for such dangers for the hawks.  This site: www.raptorsarethesolution.org  explains the dangers of using rodenticides to our raptors, wildlife and pets.   At dusk,  I then went to the far side, near the residences.  The grackles were across the harbor, and rain was threatening.  So the hawks were positioned to keep them away and to have a 'presence' that is so important to change the roosting habits of the grackles.  As it got dark, they raptors were fed and put away for the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment