Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tuesday, January 14, 2014,  Warm, sunny.  I finally fell well enough from my cold and lingering cough to take a  re-dawn swim prior to starting my day.   I brought the hawks out an immediately got them up in the air (all 4 of them) and flew at the beach and pool.  I noted that grackles are starting their courting and nesting behavior with the lengthening days.   I would fly the hawks, then the winds got a bit strong, so I flew them back into their training boxes.  Then I would wait for the winds to slow down a bit and put them up again.   I flew a second session when the winds had slowed.   And took time to take photos which will appear later.   But had to curtail flights and setting the hawks out.  A guest had a dog in the beach area.   I was putting the hawks up and the dog was off leash, curious and wanting to chase the hawks.  I asked the guest to leash the dog.  I was concerned about the safety of the hawks when tethered in the weathering area.  So until the guest left later on, I had to stop flights.  Later in the day, evening patrols were to the north side of the island.  As before, the grackles were across the water, with very little activity on the island.  But, there are noise/predator/distress call deterrents across the water.  I am curious how it will affect the grackles staying after relocating there.   I also walked the area after dark and did not see any indication of grackles retiring to the island at this time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment