Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2014

January 5th, 2014,  Sunday:

Warm, cloudy humid.  Harris hawks were brought to beach area, weighed and all were flown at once. They flew back and forth between the beach, pool and park.  Flying eagerly to the T post.  I took some photos which will be posted later.   After some time, I set the falcons out after putting the Harris' hawks in.  Residents and hotel gusts were always fascinated by this.  Some are coming every day to watch the hawks fly.  Then the winds picked up and I put them back in. A rain storm passed through and I  waited it out in the cabana.   I then set the falcons out again and was flying the one Harris hawk so that I can keep the birds away from the beach and pool area.  Then a second stronger squall came through,  I had put the birds back safe just in time.  I got soaked that time, so I went to my room and changed.   I came back out and again flew all Harris hawks at once.  They work so well together and the grackles stay away. A few crows came in to tease them, but they moved on.  Evening patrols were started and a few grackles were starting to hang around the residence.  But the vast majority have started roosting across the water.  I got out some falconry equipment to be made (replacement jesses, and leashes).  On the evening rounds, we were thanked for keeping the birds away by some of the residents.  I am glad to hear that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment