Search This Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2014

January 1st, 2014.  Partly could, light breeze, mid 70's

Set the birds out and the entire area was busy with guest's questions and inquiries.  I heard grackle activity around the pool at lunch, so I had two of the Harris hawks fly about to keep the grackles at bay.  The best thing is that I saw the peregrine again on the residence building.  He sat there for several hours, I again took time to show guests (two were avid birders) the peregrine through my spotting scope.    I also showed him to the employees as well.  The peregrine moved on. I put fresh telemetry batteries in the hawk transmitters and gave them a brief shower with the hose. Some hawks jump in their bath pans for a shower and bath.  The guests love watching this.  As I was flying the hawks around the pool.  I saw a string (kite string) caught in the palm tree to the ground.  It was hard to see unless there was just the right angle of sunlight.  I immediately pulled on it and it was attached to a kite stuck at the seawall.  I pulled, snapped the string. Leaving about a 6 foot strand waving in the wind of the palm tree.   This could have cut or one of my hawks if it had flown into it.  Earlier, I had been informed that some grackles were by the residences on key.  So evening patrols with two Harris' hawks were started there.  I saw again grackles flying in groups, but heading across the water to the mainland by the harbor.  I could see with binos, and hear their activities.   I flew the harris hawks close by to keep them from crossing the harbor.   Then waited for the night to fall.  After sundown,  I saw the peregrine fly right over me back to the key to roost.  So, I know my day has ended.  

No comments:

Post a Comment