Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2015

Warming up, more walking patrols

Wednesday, April 1, 2015. 

Up at 5:00, did not beat the alarm this time.   Got the hawks out in their enclosures and got ready for the day.  I flew two early.  And then they got stand off–ish.  I forgot that Wednesday is the day that landscaping works and trims with string trimmers and other power equipment.  The hawks do not like the noise and I simply cannot condition them to it.  They just stayed back in the trees.  I put one up easily, but the other took a bit of time to get down.  Landscaping crew was very nice in reducing the distraction of the equipment until I got the hawks safely in their enclosures.  After they were done.   Engineering stopped by, because I wanted to show them a vent at the loading dock that has an active starling nest in it.  They will need to remove the nest (starlings make great pets and can even talk like mynah birds).  Starlings are a non-native species and anyone can have one as a pet.  Also put a screen over the vent to prevent entry, as well as what is needed for the glass overhead at the front entrance.   Engineering told me that the lattice work needs to keep the drainage holes open.  Again I suggested black painted ½ inch welded wire, cut in circles with a mechanical lip bent into them.  It would be pinched to squeeze into the hole to block the starlings from entering, yet allow the drainage and ventilation. The front entrance lattice piping has several starling nests in it.  The holes for the drainage and ventilation still need to be open.  After then Flight patrols started again.    The day started a bit slower than yesterday with guests, but got very busy mid-afternoon.  Guests were actually waiting for tables to be seated.  I flew the hawks around the bar area to be centralized towards all of the outside eating areas.  My feet are getting more used to this and I am pacing myself better, slow walks around the area with the hawks following.  Around 3:00 the hawks then started moving to the golf cart.  Of course, guests were asking about the hawks and their purpose.   Again, positive responses from the guests about the falconry abatement technique.  I am proud of the hawks good behavior and being used to so much human activity.   As I went there.  I saw that an event was setting up and things were slowing down to get ready for the evening event.  The large truck was blocking my way to re-load the hawks and they kindly moved the truck to let me get by and load.   Last night, when loading, my truck ‘clunked’ and I saw why.  I will need new brake work before I return home.   I had the brakes checked TWICE  when I started hearing noises and was told they were OK.  Well they are not.  A brake shoe fell out of the wheel.  Very frustrating especially when I’ve had the truck inspected TWICE recently to check the brakes.    I am arranging to get the truck repaired by a local brake shop and will do my research on the quality of their work.   I take time to take care of my trusty old truck  (1999 F350 Diesel Dually) and two repair shops missing this issue is very frustrating.  GRRR!!!  I will only use the truck for unloading in the morning, when traffic is light. To save time by loading off the hawks and equipment in one trip.  Then use the golf cart in the evening to bring the hawks an equipment down to the truck. Taking two trips. 

April 2, 2015 (Thursday).   Sunny, with some welcome cloud cover and warm. 

Got up early again and noted light grackle activity.  So I took the two falcons out for walkabouts.  The presence of the falcons and I think even the golf cart set up with the boxes give a good signal that hawks are still in the area.  As I was walking with one of the falcons.   One of the people cleaning around the pool told me of a brown hawk/bird in the lanai area.  He walked me to one of the units, about the 4 one down from the end.  Surely enough, there was the nightjar  (whippoorwill); a nocturnal insect eating bird.  Probably the same one that I spotted a couple of days ago.  Acting lethargic.   Of course, one hand was occupied holding a hooded falcon, so I sat him on a chair, secured him.  And the nightjar had already moved.  They fly as silently as a hawk.  One of the crew, retrieved a cardboard box for me.  The nightjar flew around the lanai area and the building entrance to the fitness center.  Then around 

No comments:

Post a Comment