Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Perfect yet windy all week:

Thursday, April 8, 2015:  Sunny, warm perfect all week.  Got up early, walked dogs, then got hawks out using golf cart.   Took about the same amount of time as the truck.  But, I planned and thought ahead to save time.  The hawks slept  on the cart and table, with the side camper lights on.   I moved them into position and got ready.  Then walkabout patrols on the fist started.   I enjoy walking around with the hawks and went down to the beach in the early morning.   I had a grocery delivery that morning (dog food for my dog).  As I was finishing up my delivery,  I got a call from management and was able to meet some corporate management.  I had an enjoyable talk with him and his wife.  Even talking about bird abatement in Hawaii, but it would not happen due to introduced wildlife (rats, mongoose to control rats, and cats) which have all devastated the native ground nesting Hawaiian birds).   www.abcbirds.org has the information on that subject.  Had and early lunch and flights started after the outside dining begins.   It was windy so I flew one at a time, for one hawk gets tired of fighting the wind and sits away from me.  But they now have a routine, where one hangs around the lanai area and not worry about her.   Truck is in shop being repaired.   They have done everything except the rear hoses for the brakes.  They are waiting for the parts for this. 


Friday, April 10, 2015:  I am anticipating and glad that my truck will be back at the end of the day.   Got up early, set up birds, then got ready for the day.  Walkabouts started.   I made arrangements to get transportation to pickup my truck.  Flew one hawk at a time all day long, due to winds.   They did well, from the south condo area to the north staging area.  I am happy that my hawks are becoming so reliable and knowledgeable of the winds and the patrol area.   It was very busy, and I kept busy all day.  When things wrapped up.  I called a cab to get my transportation to the repair shop.   The cab was old and I told the driver that the noise in the back was likely that the rear gear casing was low on fluid.  I am the daughter of an auto mechanic, spent many hours in the shop with my dad and brothers, so I have a more than superficial knowledge of automobiles.  Plus hearing their stories of cars neglected by the owners and how expensive repairs can be when cars are not maintained.   The repair shop (BrakesZone)  had excellent online rating and  have been excellent, working on my truck prior to the scheduled brake service the next week.   Calling with estimates, fulfilling my preference for NAPA brand parts.  Plus they are fairly priced.  You can research your repairs online with NAPA so you can have an idea as to what your repairs will be.  I got new pads on all four wheels, brake hoses, all 4 wheels, calipers and rotors on the front.  All within budget and repaired in a timely fashion.  I will recommend BrakesZone  to anyone who needs fair, competent work.  Their shop is busy, so plan ahead. 


Saturday, April 11, 2015:  The end of the third week.   Got up, with the alarm, for I nearly slept through it.  I normally awake about 10 minutes before.   I did not do my stretches prior to getting out of bed and I felt it all morning long.  Got the hawks out and things (little things) delayed me.  I guess changing back to basing my work out of the truck threw me off, plus the stress of the truck not being here as part of my base camp settled in.  Got the walkabouts started a bit later, but I still was relieved that my truck is back working.  Winds were calmer, so I flew two hawks at a time and they did fantastic.  Following me all the way to the south condo unit easily.   After my lunch.  I am standing at my shady station next to the central bar.  One server signaled med to come over.   Immediately I saw grackle activity, with the grackles perching over the tables.  It was two then four families with children.  Kids often feed the birds and grackles know this.  They will actually ignore tables with adults, but await food to be dropped accidentally or tossed to them by the kids.  I got the two hawks in position and they flew back and forth, even under the ‘sails’ (shadecloth) to deter the grackles.    After about 45 minutes the families were doen eating and I strolled back and forth with the hawks following and doing their job.  I flew them all afternoon back and forth.  Then I heard of and event starting to be set up.  I got the hawks in a bit early and ended the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment