Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Cooler weather beautiful days.

Boca Raton Beach Club.  Blog. 

Saturday, March 28, 2015: 

Cooler weather prevailed, making it MUCH nicer to be outside.  I actually had to wear a jacket throughout mid morning.   The hawks were out by 7:15 a.m.  And they were enjoying the cooler weather.  Few guests were dining, and I kept the grackles away.  The area got busy fast and grackles were vocalizing that food was available.  So, I ate a quick lunch.  And was back switching hawks back and forth all day long.   This was a very busy day.  And I kept two in the air until  serving was done.  I really enjoyed being cooler weather and am getting use to being on my feet all day.  I still have to rest. And sit, but I definitely make sure I stand on the mulch area, and rock back and forth to help the out.  I was tired at the end of the day, but not exhausted like I was when I was in the heat.  Staff always make sure I had water to drink.  The cups on the T posts really come in handy for making sure the hawks get a good amount of water too.  A good day. 

Sunday March 29, 2015.  An even cooler morning, lovely.  Again the hawks were loving the cooler weather.  Not as busy early, and I was able to chat some with security at the north gate.   The hawks again flew all day long, rotating them in pairs.  Later when the crowd got busy.  I kept the two ones which are best around people.  They stayed up in the trees.  The youngest sitting the pool rules sign and other structures.  She does not like sitting in the palms.  The breeze picked up to the yellow flag warning.   I checked the weather and the wind was 16 mph sustained speeds.   I had to be careful that the hawks were not blown around too much.  I kept them up as long as I felt safe. The hawks took perches next to trunks of trees to avoid the winds. When the winds increased to 19 and above.  I had to bring them back in.  But the winds were adversely affecting grackles and outside dining as well.   I did not want them injured or landing in an undesirable place, blown about by strong winds.  So they were put up for the day.   Earlier in the day Guests of course were asking questions,   and with my curious outfit with the wide hat, very dark sunglasses, Pineofalconry.com vest and T post.  I cannot help but to draw attention.  Kids loved the hawks and I got good feed back from guests and members who have seen the bird situation before I arrived.  I was glad to get an evening walk in with my dog on the lovely night. 

Monday,  March 30, 2015.  Again, lowered humidity, but not as cool, but still refreshing in the morning.  Sunny, and warm but not too warm.  I flew the hawks in the morning, and it was calm.  They did well.  After lunch, I came out to quite a bit of wind, and was careful with them.    The male flew around the south area to the condos and loading dock at the inlet.  I went around to follow him.  As I was putting the other hawk up. I got a call that the wayward hawk had flown into a window and was disoriented.  I walked quickly to the south loading dock and one of the employees was holding him.   The hawk is a gentle one and seemed ok.  They told me he bumped into a window.  Often they try to land on the sill, but not realizing that there is glass in the way.  Then he flew to another window, probably trying again to land on the sill.  He landed on the ground and he was ok.  Likely tired from the efforts.  Flying is a skill that takes a LOT of energy.  Even wild birds fly only about 20 per cent during the day.  I flew him some later, but made sure he was ok. But the winds stayed within safe speeds and I was able to fly the hawks all day long.  

Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.    I started a bit later.  I walked the area, but few guests were dining outside for breakfast.  Grackles were very light, maybe two at early morning.  I started flying on such a nice calm day.  They did great, flying back and forth and staying high in the palms.  After lunch, things got busy.  I flew the oldest and youngest for about 2 additional hours.  The oldest in the palms, the youngest that always sits on structures.  A favorite is the pool rules signs.    The oldest then started moving to the enclosure area on the north lawn and I then started again with the other two.  One followed me in the palms.   The other stayed back at the North lawn area.  I flew her basically alone.  And there were many guests.  Several times, I stood around dining guests, to keep the grackles away, while they were away from their tables.  I kept them up until 4:00.  Went back to the North lawn.  I was assuming that the one hung back in the area.  I crated up the one hawk and sure enough the truant was right by the boxes, awaiting my return and he came in readily.   Another good day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment