Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2015

Feathers everywhere.


Monday, April 13th 2015.   Got up a bit early, walked the dogs then proceded to set up the hawks.   I make sure my spot by the camper was marked to allow me to park my truck right next to the camper.  On the other side, usually the large box truck parks there.  The reason I am so particular about this is to monitor the hawks in their boxes.   Plus I noted that some staffers take lunches and breaks in their cars with the AC and engine running. The exhaust fumes can easily kill the hawks, especially Harris’ hawks.   I stayed in my shorts and T shirt for the cleaning.  For it is dirty, messy work and I do not want to stain my work clothes.   I then proceeded to clean the enclosures and patio area. Molt has started and feathers are everywhere.   I took about an hour and a half to get everything nice and clean.  The hawks sat on their perches while I cleaned.  I then gave them a light shower and some of the hawks (Harris) hopped in their bath pans for a bath and shower.    A truck came up and delivered a new LifeGuard platform. I then changed into my work attire and started flying just one hawk at a time, due to the 15mph plus winds.  She flew well and kept up with me the entire time.  I am always on the watch for guests with children being served.   I was talking to a guest and serving staff pointed out to me that on the south side of the bar, there were grackles gathering.  It was two families with kids and the grackles focus on the dropped or thrown food from the kids.  I mentioned to the staffer to also observe that guests with kids will have extra interest from the grackles.    Winds started to calm down from 17-19 per my phone to 15 mph or so, I put up a second hawk to deter the grackles.  It seemed that lunch was busy at a later time today, so I made sure that both hawks were in position.  I worked my way south to the condo unit, staying just north of the kids pool.  Further south with the winds would have made it difficult for the hawks to stay in control.  I kept the hawks in the area, flying around the cabanas and palms.  Then the hawks start flying back towards the staging area.  I lingered a while longer until the last table was finished eating their meal and the table was cleared.  The guests remained, having just drinks, no food when the hawks started back.   I got some supplies together, fixed a button on one pair of my pants, then at an easy pace, put the hawks away for the evening.   I saw the sky clouding up, so I don’t know if rain will occur or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment