Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Delightful breezy day.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015.   Warming up and a wonderful breeze.  The alarm got me up this morning, for I was worried about the lock situation all night long, walked the dog(s) I tried to get the lock to this morning, but all it did was make me late.  I set up the hawks, and went to shower for the day.  I mentioned to an employee the lock situation in my camper and how I suspect tampering.  He told me to tell security.  I did after showering.  Security met up with me after lunch to take photos of the lock and I demonstrated to him how it is not functioning.  He sad that engineering may be able to help.  Later in the day I got a call for engineering and they will look at it in the morning.   Grackles were light again, with few guests dining. I flew two hawks at a time.  But after lunch, guests with kids bring the grackles right in.  One guest told me that at the main hotel, a grackle takes fries right out of his young infant /toddler son’s hand.  That is how bold they are around kids.  An example of a similar problem was a the National Zoo in DC decades ago.  Small monkeys (I think squirrel monkeys) were free-ranging in the elephant house.  The monkeys would run right up to a child in a stroller and take their food, despite parents trying to chase them away.  The monkeys in the zoo were finally removed due to such problems and enclosed in a display.     I flew the two hawks all day long and rested the two that flew yesterday.  They did well and followed.  I finally found my favorite place to be when the hawks are up.  It is on the south main gate in the late afternoon and mid afternoon, the south side of the gate behind the bar.  I have shade, mulch to stand on for my sore feet rather than the pavement.  A great breeze to keep cool.  I can fasten the T post with ball bungees to free both my hands, I have water for the hawk and myself .  And it is just perfect.   I get to engage the guests about the technique as they enter the beach area too.    And the hawks are in perfect position for maximum effectiveness.    They flew and I made sure I went to the south beach boardwalk to be effective at the condo area.  Breezes got stronger so I was making sure the hawks were comfortable as well.  The point by the south condo area has a very strong breeze.  The hawks want to sit on the rails or furniture to keep from fighting the winds, so I keep a bit further to keep them effective without landing structures.    I then went back, had dinner.  I wen to the camper, walked the dogs, took care of my supply order and waited until it got cool enough to put the hawks up for the night.  No achy feet tonight, thanks to making sure I stand on mulch, not pavement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment