Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sunrise flying today

Up at 5:00, walked the dog and then drove up and set the hawks up in their boxes.  Showered and got ready.  I am coordinating my activities to minimize the time consuming back and forth to the camper and truck.  I got laundry together, the day's attire as well.  I started flying two hawks around  7:30.  They were still in 'too early' mode and flew without much enthusiasm.  Few grackles were out.  There were few outside dining guests.   I went the central bar, trying to encourage the hawks to follow.  One did, the other stayed back.  After about 45 minutes of trying to get both encouraged.  (There were only a handful of grackles about).  I put them up.  Outside dining was still light.   So, I took my laundry down to be sent out.   Then back to the beach area with the oldest and youngest hawks.   They both did well.  The youngest, always follows me.  The oldest stays high in the palms. and that is a good deterrent for grackles.   Families with kids are the grackles favorite guests.  The kids (and sometimes adults too) toss food discretely around their tables.  This can thwart my efforts with the hawks.  After a couple of hours I was feeling sleepy so  I asked for an unsweetened tea with ice.  I was drinking it and the youngest hawk wanted some too.  She was thirsty.  Staff kindly got me a cup full of water and she drank out of it readily. Then the oldest hawk joined her, sharing in drinking water, actually taking turns.  Of course, guests love watching the hawks and how they get along.   I was thinking that I need to put cup holders on the center top of the T posts, so I can offer the hawks water without having them go back to the staging area.  Looking at the PVC pipe at the T post.   I am thinking a 2 ½  inch PVC (large enough to hold a 12 oz cup) end cap (Flat type) screwed into the center T of the post would be perfect for placing a cup of water for the hawks to drink from.  Management came over and showed me where dining guests were attracting grackles,  tables with children.  I kept the hawks up until the mid-day rush was over.  Took them back for a well earned break.  Sat them out to weather and bathe.  Then I cleaned their enclosures and wiped down the golf cart.  Dinner beckoned so the hawks were put up for the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment