Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

New venue, South Florida

New venue in South Florida.  This is spring break season, with families with kids.  Activities  are scheduled for multi-generational interests  It is a hotel and condo association on the water.  Three pools, several bars and outside eateries in the complex.  I drove down saturday with my camper. Electric was ready and although late, one of the electricians make sure I had power and water. Sunday, I met with management to arrange where to set up and had orientation and logistics of where the staging area for the birds on sunday.   The nice part is being issued a golf cart with a cargo area in the back, where I can set up the hawks in their enclosures to have them out by the pool areas.   This is a Florida Wildlife Commission protected beach with FWC approved lighting and native plant landscaping buffer for the protection of nesting sea turtles and other wildlife.  That means the beach areas have diminished lighting facing the water.  I am setting up  the staging area at the due north side of a building where the hawks are in shade all day. Management has kindly issued me keys to the main gate I will be using and to the cart as well.   Maintenance got their beach tractor to move my camper in the designated spot.   My truck was too long to get it in place. I  got the hawks out to weather, set up the telemetry in preparation for flying the hawks.   I flew in the afternoon in two shifts.  Utilizing the cart at the staging area by the north lawn shower.   I flew the youngest hawk at a time  to get them oriented to the area, staying on the grassy area by between the pool area and the landscaping sea grape buffer.   She did fine.  Of course lots of attention was drawn by the presence of the hawks.  I explained what the purpose was to guests.  I then flew the oldest hawk whom is an excellent flier and athlete.  After dinner break at 4:00.  I flew the other two hawks together. I wanted all 4 hawks to get some air time on their initial day out.  There were  fewer guests were about the pools, due to clouds forming.  The staff commented to me that grackles and bird activity is already diminished, starting about the time I set the hawks out to weather.  A good start.  

No comments:

Post a Comment