Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2015

Windy and Rainy

Thursday and Friday, March 26 and 27.

Thursday,  again I was up early and got the Red-tailed hawk out by 8:00.  I walked with him to get him out, stretch his wings and help as a deterrent.   The grackles were fewer, and winds were picking up as well.  I then got two Harris hawks out, and they followed for a while about an hour or so, sat in the palms.  Then they started heading back to their enclosures.  It was a hot day, mixed clouds and sun.  Likely they were thirsty and I offered them water.  I took time to modify the T post with cups and luckily I had velcro to secure them.  The hawks really learned to appreciate having some water during their flights.  I just drop a piece of hawk food in the cup.  They learn that they get fresh water that way too and get a drink.  Then I took the other two Harris hawks out.  They flew well.  The oldest sitting in the palms, the youngest sitting on one of the canopy tarps.  Both using branches or trunks to block the strong and increasing winds.   They flew very little, avoiding being blown about uncontrollably.  Later in the day, I start seeing whitecaps on the water well out from the waves, my signal that it it getting too windy for the hawks and they were put up for the evening.

Friday,  Again I was out early.  And walked with the falcons on the glove this time.  The female is very vocal and her voice makes the grackles nervous.  She is an imprint calls to me in a  courtship greeting.  I would wave her wings and the grackles would shift.  But after about an hour, they learned that the  flying would not occur with her.    I flew two Harris hawks, for a while, until they got out of the wind on the north side of the building.  I put them up in their enclosures, one actually flew right back into his enclosure.  I then brought the male falcon out on the fist,  also giving him some time out.  I just happened to be talking to some guests from England.  And a Cooper's hawk cruised the area right by the buffer zone.  A female, looking for grackles to hunt.  I was glad to have help from the wild hawks and always try to help them out by making the pest birds flush.  I noted she landed in a palm, then when she saw that I noticed her.  She flew back around the south beach area.  The grackles then wised up the  falcon on the fist and I knew it was time to try the Harris hawks again.  I flew the oldest and youngest.  The oldest again sitting in the palms by the main pool.  The youngest also sitting next to me on her T post on the canopies over the tables.   Winds were stronger and the yellow wind advisory flaw was out.  I let the hawks fly around some, but they had enough of the strong winds and they flew back to their enclosures.  Then sprinkles started and cleared the pool area.  It was mid/late afternoon and guests were getting out of the rain.  I then finished up the day a bit early.  Make some necessary phone calls to get some business done.  I am looking forward to an early day on Saturday and am getting extra sleep to be ready at sunrise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment