Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Today was the weather that I remember when I was in Miami for the Italian Renaissance Festival n Vizcaya.    Hot, sunny, and dripping with humidity.  Not a bother to the Harris hawks, they live in humid areas in Louisiana,  Texas and Central and South America.  

The day started very early (4:20 a.m.)  with a courteous call from the front desk that the local police needed to see my permits.   They were investigating another incident (sadly, a fatal hit and run) on the key.  looked at a car that fit the description of the suspect car in the parking garage.  The car turned out to not be the one they were looking for.   They spotted the kennels in the truck and inquired further.  After verifying my permits, Florida FWC also came out that morning to check the housing of the birds.  I showed them the kennels and the weathering area where the birds stay when not flying.  And checked the paperwork on the hawks.  All passed just fine.  So, my day was delayed, but the nuisance birds were fewer.  A handful around the dining areas, beach and pool.  I went on patrol with a falcon on the glove, and the nuisance birds cleared out when they saw us.  I put up a hawk later in the day near the pool.  Birds were getting interested in taking  bath.  So one hawk, was on sentry duty during that time.  Birds then moved out of the area.  Then we waited for the roosting event each evening.  I put up two hawks rather than three, one was a bit over weight so it was not flying today.  They did well, chasing the birds all over the area around the hotel.  Across the street is a bigger challenge.  The birds roost in some very dense trees.  Around the hotel and park area next to the beach, the trees are thinned out at the canopy to allow a view of the water.  I feel that the dense foliage of the roosting trees could also use thinning to discourage roosting.  The tree by the bridge, and across the street.  all have very dense, un thinned branches and leaves.  I also prefer the more open look of trees, I like to see the branches as well as the leaves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment