Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

Today started rather slowly. I set the birds out, cleaned their enclosures, just did some cleaning and equipment maintenance at the cabana.   Birds were scarcer today.   Cooler, (mid 70's) windy and cloudy all day with short, light rain showers.  I took the hawks on two patrols during lunch and afternoon.   The wild birds saw us and moved on.  I am hearing from the staff that the birds are greatly reduced in number.  I waited for the evening roosting to start and put up 3 Harris hawks.  They first watched the birds come flocking in to the trees.  Hawks then took off, one on the top of the roof, one in the tree, one across the street.  I watched them and listened for their bells.  I kept one behind, she has a tendency to land in unsafe places, such as roadways and such.   So she was kept hooded on the cadge.  I walked across the street and the 3 were quite seriously hazing the birds.  Whenever a hawk would land in the tree, the birds moved out quickly.  Then, I noticed one staying on a branch, I then used my flashlight and saw that he was eating something.  He had caught a bird,  good, I thought.  As darkness increases, they flew around chasing the birds, my oldest had decided it was dark enough and landed beside me.  She was hooded and placed on the cadge.   The other one and the one in the tree with it's meal were still out in the dark. I attempted to call one down and a woman was on the sidewalk with her small dog.  Hawks give their dog/intruder warning and I asked the woman to leave with the dog.  I told her that the dog upsets the birds and they will not come down with it there.  She would not comply with several requests (about 5) and gate security took care of it.  She finally left while I went over to retrieve the hawks.  She stated that she was a resident of the area and did not like what the hawks were doing.  All I wanted was the dog to leave.  Security was very supportive, helpful, (held the T post until I got the cadge in the area) and I will let them handle explaining what is happening, but I do need to protect the birds from potential harm from any dogs.  That is my responsibility as a falconer.   But the birds are safe in their sleeping kennels, and one is very happy with a fresh meal.  They all did exceptionally well tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment