Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

Thursday, March 28, 2013:   Started the day with the birds sitting out with flight and walking patrols.   The beach area was busy and I had quite a few guests come over to see the birds and inquire about their purpose as pest control.  One guest was a father and son where the son is very interested in sustainable methods of pest control and other environmental issues.  They came over several times.  I started the patrols earlier flying between 6:00 and 6:30.  This seems to be working, the blackbirds see the presence of the hawks and are greatly reduced in numbers.  I flew all of the hawks that evening.  Then I put up Tobasco, my best hawk.  Then, the winds picked up and she was flying around, but getting wind-blown.   As darkness approached.  She started sitting on the office building across the street from the hotel.  I was concerned about her being blown across the water to downtown so I kept an close eye on her through the telemetry signal to make sure she had settled in.   Friday morning, I went out just at sunrise and she was still on the office building.  She was reluctant to come down. Tobasco made a pass at the pigeons on the office building but did not connect with one.   I had already brought up her sleeping crate and she still was reluctant.  So i brought over Mercedes, the  hawk that stays so close to me.   After about 8:00-9:00 Mercedes flew into Tobasco's box and Tobasco finally decided to come in.  I called her to a large portion of food.  She fed on her meal and is now safely tucked away in her box.   Now, to set up for another day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment