Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2013

December 21, 2013:

This  day night was an interesting one.   The grackles were much fewer in number in the morning.  Workmen from the restaurant renovation told me that they saw a bird of prey (likely the resident peregrine)  catch a bird the prior evening around 6:00.   They saw the falcon take the bird to the top of the restaurant.  I wanted to see if I could find out which species of bird (grackle or pigeon) so I was taken to the roof of the restaurant.  But, the falcon had obviously taken its prey somewhere else, no feathers found.   I concluded that at same time the hawks were flushing the grackles from the trees, the peregrine took advantage of this hunting opportunity and was successful in catching a bird.    I had thought I saw a peregrine when the hawks were trailing them.  I am glad when a wild raptor comes in  this manner and I enjoy watching the flights.

Patrols were started around 4:00.  The hawks were stationed between the hotel and office building.  Flying back and forth and up the roadways to their T posts on the cart and hawk boxes.  I no longer use the cadge for two reasons.  One, the hawks are very comfortable flying in and out of their enclosures.    I much prefer the hawks feeling and being safe in their hawk boxes.  I spotted the peregrine, eight floors down on the building I have seen him on before.   He was waiting for the grackles to come in.  He flew twice around the hotel, seeking a meal, but was unsuccessful.  I will bring my strong 20 power spotting scope so I can enjoy watching him again the coming evening.  He is definitely a male.

I was notified of the wedding occurring that evening.   Patrols were ended, birds were boxed up and we waited for the wedding ceremony to end before we packed up gear for the evening at the beach.    Am I glad there were no hawks roosting out on the key that night.  Because of the fireworks display on the water after the ceremony.  It was a spectacular one, coordinated with music and very loud.  We will see what remaining grackles there are this coming evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment