Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2013

12.18/2013:   Strategy:  Have the hawks presence before the grackles roost.   I put up 3 Harris' hawks in the next area prior to roosting behavior.   The grackles would see the hawks and move to the other side of the building.  As it got darker, I called in 1 Harris hawk.  Then left two out to move and chase the grackles around.   I would also shine a flashlight and the grackles would know that it meant a hawk was nearby and the would shift around.   The hawks then start to roost instead of chase grackles so I I monitored the until I was satisfied they had settled in for the night.  Two hawks have spent the night tonight.  I am up extra early to start my day and retrieve them from 'camping' out.  My room is a great location to monitor the sounds of the grackles.  I know which calls mean which activities.  From morning greeting/noise.  To predator alert when the hawks move about.

No comments:

Post a Comment