Search This Blog

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Start with rain again

When I got up, I checked the area for grackles.   I noted that their were back at the guard house area and office building this morning.   I walked about to see exactly where they were.  They were mostly on the parking garage side of the office building, few behind the bus stop where we concentrated on them the prior night.  Got up and started moving the hawks out.  Rain delayed.  I went back in and ordered supplies.   I moved the rest of the hawks out.  Then straightened up the area and set them out for the day.   It was sunny.  Starting into the weekend, so guests were arriving.   The iguanas are bold and they watch for food to be delivered.   I heard some guests suddenly become noisy and laughing and knew that an iguana had taken their food/drinks.  It was drinking one of frozen drinks.  Luckily these guests were amused at the surprise.  I told staff and they took care of the guests.  I flew the hawks for a while on the beach for a while, but the heat and heavy air made them reluctant to move about much.  They sat in the palm with multiple branches (sabal?) above the area where I weather the hawks and just watched everything.  Guests were naturally curious and explained the concept to them.   The iguana babies and youngsters made themselves scarce when the hawks are up.  The adults, not so; they are bold and unafraid of humans.  Evening flights started at 6:00 with 4 hawks up around the pool.  Then t reduced to 2 hawks around the office building and bus stop.  They were good, hanging around flying back and forth.  Moving the grackles around to a smaller number behind the guard house.  Saturday morning when I woke up.  I saw fewer grackles and starlings.  Right at sundown, I spotted the PEREGRINE.  It had moved to one of the condos.   I did not see it land.  Then I spotted the falcon moving to roost on the mainland.  So the PEREGRINE is back.  Likely just came down from its summer territory this week.  A welcome site for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment