Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

Peregrine Falcon is back

Sunday, Sept. 28, 2014.    Sunny, mid-80's.   Another sultry day.  I set the hawks out to weather on their perches.  I misted them to make sure they are kept cool and comfortable.  On these sultry days, the hawks stay in the shade in the trees when up and move very little.   I walked around the pool wit the red-tailed hawk.  He likes to ride on the glove and is very comfortable around people when doing so.  Few birds were around the pool and beach so the hawks sat and weathered most of the day. While weathering the hawks, one falcon looked in the sky late afternoon with great interest.  I knew then he had spotted the peregrine and  I could then see it fly around.  I landed on the east side of the adjacent condo building, apparently on a balcony.  I love watching the peregrine and love having it around.    Evening flights again started around the office building.  Patrols were done to see if the grackles and starlings have moved to another area of the island, but they were absent.  It was Sunday night after putting the hawks up for the night, a supply run was made to get batteries at Key Biscayne.  Thinking that the grackles had re-located there.  A walking/driving survey was done to spot any roosting there.  But no signs were found.  Monday morning, it was quiet around the am.  Except for the resident pigeons outside my room.  Which I enjoy watching and enjoy their company.  Monday is cleaning day and I get out early with the hawks to weather and clean their enclosures.   

No comments:

Post a Comment