Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wednesday April 17, 2013:  Warm, not as humid, mixed clouds.  Got up at 5:00 a.m.  to get the hawks that had stayed out all night.   Both had made kills.   The telemetry was working just fine, I had just put in fresh batteries in the transmitters on the prior day.   I first put their transport boxes on a bell cart.  I also used a bungee to secure the boxes, so they do not bounce when being rolled around.  Then rolled it out to where one was by the seawall at the park adjacent to the beach.  I again used the T posts, especially that 16 foot long one, garnished with a piece of food.  She was still reluctant, flew back and forth from the T post to the tree.   So a whole frozen quail was placed in her box to entice her down.  I must let her eat the entire quail as a reward.  She is my best hawk, all business, no affection.   The second one was in the banyon tree at the exit.  This is a favorite place for them to hang out when being flown.   He was enticed with a whole frozen day old chick and came down readily off the long T post.  I then set them out, cleaned the enclosures and cabana area.

No comments:

Post a Comment