Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Monday April 8th, 2013.  Got hawks out, cleaned enclosure and general maintenance.   Then started flying hawks around pool and patio, plus beach area.   The grackles now know me and mob me as I walk past them, with out without the hawks.  Then I let one hawk up.  She landed in the middle of the tree in the adjacent park.  I looked and saw a pigeon on the ground.  She immediately went for it.  I was surprised, for this hawk seems to have diminished hunting skill/desire.  I immediately grabbed hawk and pigeon, for there were people in the park.   Said a hurried sorry and took both back to the holding area.   I then noted that the pigeon is emaciated and very ill.  I did NOT let the hawk start feeding on it, due to the risk of disease.  I dispatched the pigeon, wrapped it up and disposed of it.  Then evening flights started, flew until sundown at the walkway by the parking garage.  Security did a photo op session at the gatehouse.  And was finished for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment