Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Helping our native hawks

Yesterday, When I was hazing pigeons with my hawks. The immature red-tail that I saw before was soaring around. Making the pigeons nervous. I attempted to flush the pigeons in position for the wild red-tail to have a chance to catch. She just kept soaring into the thermal around the downtown building and eventually away. She also was seen feeding on a squirrel this past friday in the local greenspace park. Great to see a young red-tail doing well.

Today, it was the adult Cooper's hawk that also has been witnessed catching pigeons. She tried twice, an hour apart but, also did not catch a pigeon. She also caught a soar around 11:30 with the local vultures and moved on east. She 'may' have caught a pigeon during the first flight. I saw her stalk the pigeons from underneath in a typical accipiter ringing flight, following the pigeons. When the pigeons made a break for the buildings. I say her start a stoop and I did not see her again for an hour. Hopefully she had caught her meal and went for a mid-day soar.

No comments:

Post a Comment